Councils are being offered “bribes” worth hundreds of millions of pounds to build homes in the green belt, campaigners have said.
The government has promised to pay councils a new homes bonus, typically worth £9,000, for each home they build — including in England’s 14 green belts, the protected land around cities where development is meant to be strictly limited.
NEW HOMES BONUS
- £128m paid to East Hertfordshire district council to build 15,700 homes on green-belt land
- £125m to Central Bedfordshire for 13,000
- £68m to Guildford for 8,200
- £45m to Birmingham for 5,000
- £33m to Windsor & Maidenhead for 2,900